How to Decorate a Boring Teenage Bedroom (for Boys)
Are you a guy who wants a cool teen room to wow your friends when they come over? Check out these cool bedroom ideas for teenage boys. Just follow these easy steps and turn your boring room into a cool one!
- First of all, you are going to need a parent or other legal guardian to help you to buy materials and assist in major projects. It is possible to do this without parental consent but is much easier when you have someone with a car and debit card on your side.
- The first thing you notice when you come into a room is its wall color. If you have a nursery mural or something else embarrassing on your walls then this is an absolute must. If you are allowed to paint your walls don’t go crazy. A red or black may seem cool at the moment but in a year or two you will be saying to yourself, “What was I thinking?” A good color for a guy is a khaki, beige, coffee or caramel color. This color may seem a little boring at first but is great because you will never outgrow it. If you are looking for something a little more adventurous move towards a darker blue or two-tone silver and blue room. If you go in a lighter blue it will look like a baby’s room so watch out. If your parents or the people you live with prefer you didn’t paint your room for one reason or another, this is fine and very easy to work around.
- After you have painted your walls, it is important to have something to hang on them. Depending on the size of your room and your preference, the amount of wall hangings can vary greatly. An easy way to cover a large empty wall neatly and cleanly is to go down to target and purchase some large poster frames. These cost about 15$ and are a 2×3 sheet of Plexiglas with a thin wooden backing and a narrow black frame around the outside. These are great for placing posters and other art in. Also, they can be great for collages of pictures with friends or posters out of surf magazines or even movie tickets. The best part about these are they only require one nail and your parents will love them because they can be taken down any time to be changed or if you move. Other great wall hangings are, concert tickets, vintage coke or Dr. pepper signs, cool clocks, sports jerseys and pizza or doughnut boxes. The pizza and doughnut boxes can be especially cool if used correctly. First, open the pizza box and hold it up to the wall. Then push a thumbtack through each of the inside 4 corners. This should allow the pizza box to be opened while attached to the wall. A great way to cover a lot of space is to put up white paper and allow your friends to write or draw on it over time.
- Be creative and daring. Follow your personality and draw from what is around you.
- Clean as you go, and stay on a rather tight schedule. If you run into a mess, get it put up, not just out of the way.
- If you have any type of woodworking equipment at your house, don’t be afraid to build you own furniture. There’s nothing like saying, “Yeah, I built that” when friends come over.
- If you have any construction skills and a local auto junk yard, you might want the front half of a car “smashing” through the wall.
- A closet door full of old CDs also looks very cool. Put the shiny side outward and make sure you use plenty of tape to make sure that nothing falls down later.
- Old parking signs are a styling thing to have nailed up to your walls. Try finding them in junk yards and other places around where people throw away stuff. Many institutions have these lying around somewhere, waiting to be thrown away.
- Always keep an eye out for piles of unwanted furniture on the street that are free for the taking. If you see a piece of furniture that you like, pick it up with a truck, wash it, then repaint it if need be.
- Have your own unique style.
- Be careful with parking signs; you could get in trouble if you took them without permission. Do NOT steal them when they are planted in the ground.
- Don’t go overboard.
- Do not to put up any inappropriate/revealing pictures of women without your parent’s permission, especially if you have sisters or younger brothers. Also, if you ever invite a girl over, these posters can make you look bad.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Decorate a Boring Teenage Bedroom (for Boys). All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.